The Harvard Museum of Natural History is located at 26 Oxford Street, Cambridge.
View the neighborhood map
We strongly suggest arriving by public transportation as parking near the museum is very limited. Please see the parking section below about where and how to park near the museum.
Taking the MBTA Subway
Take the Red Line to the Harvard Square stop. Walk through Harvard Yard and down Oxford Street one block. The Harvard Museum of Natural History is the large brick building on your right, just an eight-minute walk from Harvard Square.
Taking the MBTA Commuter Rail
Take the Fitchburg Line to Porter Square. Walk 50 yards on Somerville Avenue, cross the tracks on the bridge, and bear right onto Oxford Street and continue to #26. The museum is less than a mile from Porter Square.
There are a limited number of two-hour metered spaces located on Oxford and Kirkland Streets. These meters only accept US quarters. After 8:00 pm the meters do not require coins but may be restricted to Cambridge residents. Parking is free on Sundays, and resident permits are not required. Please read the street signs carefully.
There are commercial parking garages in Harvard Square; however, the museum cannot validate parking for those businesses.
University Permit Parking
Limited parking is available for museum visitors in nearby University-operated garages including the 52 Oxford Street Garage, located at the intersection of Everett and Oxford Street. Permits must be purchased in advance. Day permits (valid until 11:00 pm) can be purchased online up to two weeks in advance and range in price between $8 to $17 per pass. All major credit cards are accepted and sales are final. For customer service related to the purchase of permits, please contact the Harvard Parking Office at (617) 495-3772.
Weekend permits for the 52 Oxford Street Garage can be purchased in person at the museum's admission desk for $8. A license plate number is required for purchase.
Purchasing a parking pass online
Before proceeding to the online form, please note the following:
- If you are a first-time user, you will need to register by creating a user name and password.
- You will need to have a printer ready to print out the parking permit.
- Have your car’s license plate number ready. No permit can be purchased without a current plate number.
- You will be asked to select a parking lot. We recommend requesting a permit for the 52 Oxford Street Garage (the entrance to the garage is at the intersection of Everett and Oxford Streets).
- You will be asked for the date of the permit. Be sure to select the correct date (permits are not transferable).
- You will need to choose the museum's department from a drop down list. Select Museum Visitor.
- You will need to enter the museum's department Code: 6137. You are now ready to proceed to the online parking permit purchase system.
Please contact Harvard University Disabilities Services, or call (617) 495-1859 for parking options.
Tour and School Buses
Tour and school buses must get detailed bus parking instructions from the Education Department by calling reservations at (617) 495-2341.